[thelist] WebReview responds to WaSP browser death march

Aylard JA (James) jaylard at equilon.com
Mon Feb 26 14:15:22 CST 2001

Aardvark,

> i think we need a "to hell with bad WYSIWYGs" campaign...
> nobody who uses a WYSIWYG editor is going to change... and
> there are boatloads out there... targetting hand-coders is (more or
> less) preaching to the choir...  target the tool-makers... the
> GoLive/DreamWeaver/FrontPage world is doing more damage than
> any hotshot with notepad...

	Great idea. Actually, although I am a committed hand-coder, I
understand why many people use WYSIWYG editors (I used to, long ago). And as
a kinder, gentler modification to your campaign, I would like to see a
campaign to urge WYSIWYG editor-makers (e.g., Microsoft, Adobe, Macromedia)
to design their editors to produce standards-compliant code *and*, as an
added bonus, find ways to simplify and, wherever possible, automate the
inclusion of accessibility features into WYSIWYG-generated sites.
	I'm not going to pretend that I know how this should be done,
exactly, but I am confident that it *can* be done -- or at least that the
current situation *can* be improved significantly.

James Aylard