[thelist] Designer vs. Coder

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 26 15:43:37 CST 2001

> From: Jeana <kumquat at sckans.edu>
>
> With all of this talk about using wysiwyg's and coding by hand..  I
> propose the question I've been struggling with...  Can someone be very
> good at both?  Designers I think will tend to drift towards
> dreamweaver.. it's faster, its easier, and they can see the designs..
> pretty.. *poof* there it is.  Coders are interested in back-end...
> how it loads, how it's handled on different systems/browsers/etc,
> getting the most done in least amount of lines of correct code...

i'm one of those people who needs equal parts both... i need a
design outlet, and i need a technical outlet... one of the reasons i
nearly became an architect... one of the reasons i got into photo
manip... a big reason i've done the web thing...

am i both, though?  that's like asking someone if he/she is a good
driver... everyone thinks he/she is a good driver, but it takes a
passenger to give some true insight...

given that, i'd let y'all decide (http://roselli.org/adrian/)... my gallery
is both a sample of my coding and my design... i try to push both
equally, but hey, who knows what somebody thinks of my design...
it's easy to say my code validates, but you may disagree with how
i use the valid elements... and it's easy to say my stuff is ugly...
that's how you see it, and i can't argue that...

> If we seperate content and design, are we also seperating the
jobs?

hope not...