[thelist] Designer vs. Coder

Ryan Mayberry Ryan at applicor.com
Mon Feb 26 16:18:37 CST 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeana [mailto:kumquat at sckans.edu]

>If we seperate content and design, are we also seperating the >jobs?

I think there are people who can do both. I have lots of experience in
design and graphics, while I also have some skills in coding and scripting.
Am I really really really good at both? No. I obviously am stronger in some
areas and weaker in others.

People can do both, but to be considered a 'great god-like-guru'  in either
area would require a detailed level of experience and dedication.

Typically I find people who are really really really good at design don't
have the 'right-brain' power required for serious coding.. and vice versa..
people who are extremely confident on the code side usually don't use their
'left-brain' very much.

I think if you have a team environment, separating skills works well. If
you're over worked and a huge geek with a creative streak, there is no
reason why you can't at least be competent in both areas.

or at least that's my take.

Sir Kerkness
- a good like guru in my own right.. ;)