[thelist] You need to read me. Really.

Daniel J. Cody djc at starkmedia.com
Mon Feb 26 19:34:37 CST 2001

Hi,

I'm Dan. You may know me as djc, Daniel, 'The guy buying another pitcher
of beer', or even 'uhh.. who?'. I happen to be the guy that runs
thelist, and its come to my attention lately that my laxidazical ways of
list administration and over easy-goingness(is that even a word?
*shrug*) on my part have led to what I've come to know as 'TALKS' or
"Thelisters Abiding in Lengthy offtopiK emailS" Yes, thats topik with a
'K'. w3rd.

At any rate, 'TALKS', when left unchecked and untreated, has been known
to cause general unhappiness and bitching on thelist about people not
respecting their fellow evolters. To make sure you don't contribute to
"TALKS" follow these important guidelines:

- Trim those footers!! At the bottom of each an every email is a footer
that has links to helpful thelist pages. Sometimes, those footers get
left on by people when they respond to a post, which can cause
crankiness, irritability, and general non-smurfyness in those evolters
who recieve the digest list, or our european/south american/etc brethren
who have to pay for their Internet Service. In my own independant
studies, I've proven that the cost of 'unsnipped footers' to an average
digest mode evolter from France is well over US $1,121,992.09 per year!
In other words, TRIM those posts!!! Thats a boatload of wine!

- If you post off-topic messages to thelist you must pay with a <tip>.
If you have no clue what a <tip> is, read the URL above.

- Snip off unrelevant or uncommented parts of the email you're replying
to. This will also cut down on the average oversea digest readers phone
bill.

- Have fun.

Remember, fighting together to battle "TALKS" is the only way to win! So
do your part! :)

In all seriousness, please trim those posts and read the guidelines. We
have a cool list here for a reason.. Thanks for doing your part and
letting me not have to post bitchy emails like many other lists ;)

If anyone has questions or comments they'd like to put to me directly,
as always, feel free to drop me an email offlist and we'll chat..

Also, if anyone has imports or imported vodka they'd like to put *in* me
directly, as always, feel free to drop me a case at home and we'll be
friends.. ;)

.djc.