[thelist] Opera 5 CSS

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 28 03:55:38 CST 2001

>Fro
>I've been working on a site that uses css to colour various form elements,
>namely dropdown background colours and input background colours. This works
>fine for IE55 ans NS6, but i've not been able to get Opera 5 to colour form
>elements, is this possible in Opera or is the css support lagging somewhat
>or is this just a non-standard sort of thing to do?

Just tested in (Win), you're right. I think Opera is a bit behind.

>Also, i've noticed that when using a DOM script to change a style setting
>in Opera, it sometimes loses the style completely for that element!

Example? I tried changing a text colour, worked fine.

>Generally, what are peoples thoughts on Opera and how thoroughly do you try
>to support it?

That depends on how well it supports CSS. For instance, yesterday I noticed
that a 10px font is readable in most Win and Mac browsers, except for Opera
5 on Mac where it's really too small. Since Op5Mac is still in beta, I won't
change anything in the site for the moment, but these small items are going
to decide whether we web developers will take Opera seriously.

Also, the question is how many people will use Opera. At the moment it's at
0.3 % in my browser detect, which is slightly higher than before. But will
it really make an impact now that it's free? Say, 1 or even 2 % of the
market?

Before these questions are answered I cannot decide what to do about Opera.
At the moment I check my sites in it, if something breaks I'm willing to
spend 10 minutes on it trying to find a solution, but I'm not going to redo
my pages only because of Opera.

ppk