[thelist] Non-Deprecated HTML Presentational Elements (was, C SS Font Sizes)

Calum I Mac Leod calum at ciml.co.uk
Wed Feb 28 13:02:38 CST 2001

Joe Crawford:

> For the record:
> I never said that w3c specs are kludges. I said that they are moving
> targets. The use of the term 'kludge' would imply a qualitative
> judgement on my part. No such judgement emanated from me.

I'm sorry about that.  It was the following that gave me that impression:

  "If you seek didactic and intellectual purity - don't look at w3c specs,
   particularly not the HTML ones."

Lack of "intellectual purity" seems to me like a very kind way of describing
kludgery.  The qualitative judgement is all mine.  ;-)

  "HTML 4 is an SGML application conforming to International Standard
   ISO 8879 -- Standard Generalized Markup Language [ISO8879]."

I have no real SGML experience, but those who do seem to find the above
comment somewhat odd in relation to the rest of the specification.

Calum