[thelist] menus without frames

Charles F. Johnson charles at littlegreenfootballs.com
Wed Feb 28 18:43:55 CST 2001

Michael Hall <m_d_hall at hotmail.com> typed:

> What I'd like to know is: can I with out frames load the menu from one file
> and just put that code on every page so that i just update the menu one
> place and it is then seen on all pages. Like style sheets only for content.

yes, absolutely. there are actually lots of ways to do this; the simplest
ones are probably server-side includes (SSI) or PHP, as long as your web
host supports them. (most do.) i would use PHP myself, because it's more
flexible than SSI.

to do this with PHP, you'll have to name your page with a .php or .php3
extension, depending on your host. then to include the menu into your pages,
just put this little piece of code where you want the menu to appear:

<?php
  @readfile("menu.html");
?>

you can find a lot of info about PHP, along with tutorials and many
pre-written scripts, at:

http://php.resourceindex.com/

charles johnson
lgf web design