[thelist] Sessions. When do they End?

Surojit Niyogi saniyogi at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Mar 3 11:44:55 CST 2001

You can specify the timeout of your users sessions either on the server or
in the script that you are running.  Although, i don't know the command for
doing so in PHP (i positive there is one though)

I'm thinking about what you want to do (kill session variable when they
leave domain) and i don't think that's possible.  When i build sites around
session variables, a user can go visit yahoo and then come back into their
own session.  Another testament to this is Yahoo Mail.  In Yahoo Mail, only
closing the browser will terminate your session.

What I'm interested in is finding out a way to make it so that the session
variable ONLY times out when the user closes their browser. I'm not sure how
this is done.  I usually equip my scripts with some type of session-checking
routine at the top that redirects the user to a "Timeout" page if Session
variables are empty when they aren't supposed to.

Hope this helps in some way. :)

-Surojit