[thelist] even more TLDs? ever?

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Tue Mar 6 08:25:12 CST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "aardvark" <roselli at earthlink.net>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2001 4:56 AM
Subject: [thelist] even more TLDs? ever?

> i know, i'm not getting my news from /., i'm getting it from CNN... i'd
feel
> dirty, but i don't care...
>
> New.net sidesteps ICANN to increase domain names
> http://www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/internet/03/05/new.net.domains.idg/index.h
> tml
> "Private company New.net announced plans Monday to offer a series of
> new Internet TLDs (top-level domains), from .chat to .xxx, in a process
> [snippage]

alternately from Wired News ...
- http://www.wirednews.com/news/business/0,1367,42146,00.html

"LOS ANGELES -- Idealab founder Bill Gross isn't happy with the Internet's
newest top level domains (TLDs), so he's decided to fight the system.
New.net, a spinoff of Idealab, is challenging the authority of the
Internet's primary ruling body by preparing to sell 20 unsanctioned TLDs
that it plans to administer on its own.
"The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), the
international organization chartered to oversee the administration of the
domain name system (DNS), granted seven new domain names in November,
including dot-biz (.biz), dot-museum and dot-info.
"But that wasn't good enough for Idealab, which Monday began offering new
domains including dot-shop, dot-law, dot-mp3, dot-tech, dot-video, dot-game,
dot-sport, dot-kids, dot-chat, dot-inc, dot-med and dot-family."

--
  ___  ___ __ _________ @well.com  William Anderson - www.well.com/~neuro
 / _ \/ -_) // / __/ _ \|     "All your base are belong to us. You are on