[thelist] frameborder=0

Mal McKay mckaym at illyana.com
Wed Mar 7 07:36:13 CST 2001

The newest and most compliant browsers (IE5/Mac and NS6) have two page
rendering modes, "quirky" and compliant.
The doctype specified will determine which is used

No doctype declaration
Quirks
Pre-HTML 4.0 doctype declaration eg. <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML
3.2 Final//EN">
Quirks
HTML 4.x Strict doctype declaration eg. <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD
HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
Standards
HTML 4.x Transitional doctype declaration without a URI eg. <!DOCTYPE HTML
PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
Quirks
HTML 4.01 Transitional doctype declaration with the URI ie. <!DOCTYPE HTML
PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
Standards
HTML 4.0 Transitional doctype declaration with the URI ie. <!DOCTYPE HTML
PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
Quirks in Mozilla, Standards in IE 5 for Mac

this is an extract from http://www.hut.fi/u/hsivonen/doctype.html. The page
provides much more information

There is also a very good article on http://www.alistapart.com concerning
their re-design for issue 99
http://www.alistapart.com/stories/journey/

This doesn't help with your particular problem, but should clarify the issue