[thelist] DBA survey

Ryan Finley RyanF at SonicFoundry.com
Wed Mar 7 23:45:50 CST 2001

<shameless self-promotion>

You should check out SurveyMonkey.com for your future surveys.  It's really
an outstanding tool...

</shameless self-promotion>

	Ryan Finley
	President - SurveyMonkey.com

<tip>
When concatenating strings in VBScript, be sure to use "Response.Write" with
reckless abandon...VBScript is horribly bad at handling string memory.  The
longer the string, the higher the performance hit when concatenating.  I
received a 10x performance boost when I simply wrote out the string while
processing, instead of at the end.
</tip>

-----Original Message-----
From: Melissa Phelps Firestone [mailto:liss at frameshift.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2001 11:38 PM
To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
Subject: [thelist] DBA survey

Hi all,

I am seeking DBAs (people acting in that role, whether certified or not)
that would be willing to answer a relatively short interview-type survey for
academic purposes (non-identifying, no spam, etc.). I'll be happy to provide
summary results as desired.

The survey can be found at the following URL:
http://www.frameshift.com/dba.html

Thanks!
--Liss

<tip type="timesaving">
You know all those things you include in just about every site/page/project
you do? Those cool tips, techniques and code samples you find on mailing
lists? Save them into a central location instead of trying to remember what
you used where. Even if you're not working with a team, having your own code
library will save you hours of searching.

If you have a javascript function, email-generating subroutine,
margin-building chunk of code, or whatever, save it into a new file in your
library. This will allow you to save tons of time when you're working on a
new project and wonder "which page was it that I had that cool layer-hiding
gadget on in site x? Or was it z?

If your editor of choice supports it, take advantage of the glossary /
snippets / whetever it calls it and be brilliant with one keystroke!
</tip>

                    melissa phelps firestone
                       liss at frameshift.com
                          http://www.frameshift.com