VBScript strings (was Re: [thelist] DBA survey)

Ryan Finley RyanF at SonicFoundry.com
Thu Mar 8 11:17:39 CST 2001

Thanks for the google search...I'm going to check out the component
"SpeedString".

http://www.intesoft.co.uk/speedstring.asp

It's FREE!

	Ryan Finley
	President - SurveyMonkey.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Filip Salomonsson [mailto:filip at netdesign.se]
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2001 4:03 AM
To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
Subject: Re: VBScript strings (was Re: [thelist] DBA survey)

Norman:
> Thanks for that tip Ryan. I was wondering if anyone else found this as I
> know that everything I've read has suggested the opposite, and that it's
> best to use a single Response.write call.  It's going to be a bit of a pig
> if it is as I've optimised all of the code I've produced to have only a
> single response.write call.

What have you read, and where did you read it? Whoever wrote it, they're
wrong.

> If it is true what is the optimal string length to write, ie
> performance hit of visit to the response object vs memory
> useage for the strings?  Best not to concateener at all?

Don't concatenate. It _is_ a huge performance hit.
Use Response.Write repeatedly instead, and use response buffering. It will
be fast.

<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/IIS/Tips/asptips.asp#u>
<http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q170/9/64.asp>

and several others: