[thelist] Browser parsing

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Thu Mar 15 16:52:35 CST 2001

On 15 Mar 2001, at 12:05, Mark Fletcher wrote:

> I'm in the process of creating some web tutorials and wondered anyone could
> furnish me with a detailed explanation of what the term 'Parsing' means in
> relation to the web. I have read Ben Henicks excellent article 'Back to
> Basics' which gives a general description of what the browser does but I
> could really do with some more information.

Parsing means the same thing in relation to the web as it meant
when you took eighth-grade English and diagrammed sentences.

A browser is basically a downloader and an HTML interpreter.

If you want to get into the innards of interpreters/compilers, curl
up with the dragon book: "Compilers : Principles, Techniques,
and Tools" by Alfred V. Aho, Ravi Sethi, Jeffrey D. Ullman

You probably don't want to buy it - it's $72 - but it is available in *every* library worthy of the name.

--------
I got this powdered water.
Now I don't know what to add.
            -- Steven Wright