[thelist] Box problem

Arlen.P.Walker at jci.com Arlen.P.Walker at jci.com
Fri Mar 16 08:44:28 CST 2001

Given three columns, call them A, B and C. The middle column should load
first, so it appears first in the HTML, followed by C, follwed by A. The
CSS, stripped to its essentials is:

.A {
   position: relative;
   left: -60%;
   width: 19%;
   float: left;
}

.B {
   position: relative;
   left: 20%;
   width: 59%;
   float: left;
}

.C {
   width: 19%;
   float: right;
}

This produces the three-column layout I'm looking for in NS6 and IE5.5/Win.
But in IE5/Mac, the columns present themselves in a different order: B,
then A, then C. The only way to get the A, B, C order I want in IE5/Mac is
to make B's position absolute and remove the "float:left" from the CSS.
Looking at the spec, I can't tell for sure if IE5/Mac has the standard
right, or the others do; I think I can present a good case for each side.

Is this one of those things left up to the browser implementation? If not,
which browser(s) are screwing up?

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224