[thelist] form/image button problems

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 19 08:10:51 CST 2001

><input type="Image" name="button" src="graphic2.gif" border="0">
>
>I know this is soooo simple, but I can't figure it out.   When I click on
>the button, it submits, but it is not detected on the next page. Using a
>"get" method, this is all that is shown on the
>url.......?button.x=20&button.y=11 . This just tells be the coordinates on
>the button, but not which button or it's value.

It does tell you which button it is: it gives the NAME (which in your case
is 'button'). As to value, you haven't defined any in the INPUT tag (though
I'm not sure what happens when you do define one).

The button.x and button.y are for server side image maps: transfer the
coordinates on the image where the user clicked the mouse, then the server
side image map calculates which page should be shown. This technique is
hardly used any more but browsers still support it.

ppk