[thelist] tabs or compressing dictionary lists

Paola Kathuria paola at limitless.co.uk
Tue Mar 20 11:28:24 CST 2001

Jonathon Isaac Swiderski asked:
> Is there a way to compress a dictionary list (<dl>) so that the term and
> definition appear on the same line?

James Aylard replied:
> <dl compact>
>
> <dl compact="compact">
>
> to be more XHTML-minded. Keep in mind, however, that the "compact" attribute
> is deprecated, and is only valid using a Transitional dtd.

As far as I know, IE always throws new line for the <DD> part,
even in COMPACT DL lists.

In Netscape, the "tab-stop" for the DD element in a compact
list is fixed, to about 3 characters (in 12pt anyway) and so
wouldn't work in the example given.  Using a table seems to me
to be the easiest solution.

By the way, the example HTML needs pruning:

<DL>
  <DT>tel :
  <DD>123/456-7890</DD>
 </DL>
 <DL>
  <DT>fax :
  <DD>456/123-7890</DD>
 </DL>
 <DL>
  <DT>contact :
  <DD>Jane Doe, Director</DD>
 </DL>

To (with lowercase and closing dt and dd tags for
thingummybob compliance):

<DL>
  <DT>tel :
  <DD>123/456-7890
  <DT>fax :
  <DD>456/123-7890
  <DT>contact :
  <DD>Jane Doe, Director
</DL>

Same way as one doesn't end and restart a UL or OL lists
after each LI...

Procrastinating Pedantic Paola