[thelist] tabs or compressing dictionary lists

Jonathon Isaac Swiderski jonathon.swiderski at oberlin.edu
Tue Mar 20 13:15:10 CST 2001

--Paola Kathuria <paola at limitless.co.uk> wrote:
>    <DD>123/456-7890
> Same way as one doesn't end and restart a UL or OL lists
> after each LI...

Closing tags are optional in html4, required in xhtml.  And while I'm not
writing in xhtml (yet), I'm trying to do certain things properly. . .
besides, the less the browser has to think about things, the better.

--Donald Patenaude <donald_patenaude at hms.harvard.edu> wrote:

> <DD>tel
> :&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;123/456-
> 7890</DD>

The major problem with this is that the font isn't fixed-width. . . 'tel
:' and 'fax :' aren't the same length to begin with, and those strings of
spaces would be a pain i don't need to equalize. . .

I'd rather not use tables.  No special reason, I'd just rather not.

The page in question, btw, is at
[http://members.evolt.org/jswiders/index.php?id=catcharl].

                   "Wherever there's somebody fightin' for a place to stand
Jonathon Isaac Swiderski                    Or decent job or a helpin' hand
jswiders at oberlin.edu              Wherever somebody's strugglin' to be free
135 W Lorain St OCMR 2678            Look in their eyes Mom you'll see me."
Oberlin OH 44074               - Bruce Springsteen, "The Ghost of Tom Joad"