[thelist] tabs or compressing dictionary lists

James Aylard evolt at equilon-mrc.com
Tue Mar 20 13:25:20 CST 2001

Paola,

> Yikes, I must have been using iffy mark-up all this time!  Will you
> make your test page available?   I'm looking at a page with just a
> single digit in the DT of a COMPACT list and both IE 3 and 5.5 show
> the DD part on the next line.

    Take a look at:
http://members.evolt.org/jaylard/dev/html/html_Dl_Dt_Dd.html

> See http://www.ppig.org/workshops/9th-programme.html (papers listed
> in a compact DL list, with the paper numbers defined by the DT tag).

    Taking a brief look at your mark-up, I don't see a problem with it. A
bit of tinkering with it suggests that the inclusion of the <b> element
within your <dd> elements seems to cause the <dd> element to shift down,
essentially ignoring the compact attribute. However, testing on other
examples I have does not produce this same effect, so maybe it is a
combination of <b> and the length of the line. It seems very odd.
    Try using a style sheet to see if that solves the problem. In my brief
testing, it seemed to.

James Aylard