[thelist] JSP vs ASP vs PHP vs CF

Raymond Camden rcamden at allaire.com
Tue Mar 20 14:29:26 CST 2001

> can you show an example of a tag-based function vs. a CFSCRIPT-
> based function?

It would be best if you look at the docs...
/CFDOCS/Developing_Web_Applications_with_ColdFusion/20_Extending_ColdFusion_
Pages_with_CFML_Scripting/dwa20.htm

Basically, it works like so:

<CFSCRIPT>
	x = 1;
	y = 2;
	z = (x+y)*7;
	WriteOutput("The result was " & z);
</CFSCRIPT>

> and why is it not as full-featured?

You can't call any cf tags. So, I can't do:

	cfmail(....);

You can only call cf functions. (Although in 5.0 you can write your own
functions.)

CFSCRIPT is faster in some loops, and faster in sets. (It's what I use to
define all my application wide vars.)

Raymond Camden, Principal Spectra Compliance Engineer for Allaire

Email   : jedimaster at allaire.com
ICQ UIN : 3679482