[thelist] Sending both HTML and plaintext email

zac zac at pixelgeek.com
Wed Mar 21 12:59:27 CST 2001

Ryan Finley wrote:

> I guess I'm not sure why this deserved a <rant>?

You're proposing sending HTML email (something not supported by the
standards and protocols) which is a known security issue.  And its also just
a bloody annoyance.

>All I want to do is
> correctly display HTML or plaintext based on what the user supports.

I still really don't know why people don't do the  immeasurably simpler
process and just send  people a URL? Then the HTML is handled inside the
browser (where it should be) and not in an email message (where it
shouldn't)

--

Last night somebody broke into my apartment and replaced everything
with exact duplicates... When I pointed it out to my roommate,

Steven Wright

email: zac at pixelgeek.com
web: http://www.pixelgeek.com/