[thelist] illustrator paths and points

Charles Roper reachme at charlesroper.co.uk
Thu Mar 22 11:32:08 CST 2001

Scott,

> Now this sounds very interesting. At one point while working on some
> cathedral arches, I had worked out many of these things by pulling out my
> high-school trigonometry. I have since forgotten, but would love
> to have the
> file. I'm running Illustrator version 8, and thanks in advance.

I think I should clarify to everyone that I haven't *literally* created the
bezier curves mathematically (have you seen bezier curve math? Eek!), I just
used the grid with snapping on. I put mathematically in quotes because I
didn't create them simply by look and feel - rather there's an easily
recreatable methodology behind it. So perhaps it's not as interesting as it
sounds.

<tip type="bezier curves">
If you really want to get down to the nuts and bolts of bezier curves, take
a look at http://www-cgrl.cs.mcgill.ca/~luc/bezier.html which has a bunch of
rather dry, technical bezier articles.

On a more practical level, there's a useful tutorial for tracing a logo with
bezier curves at:
http://graphicssoft.miningco.com/compute/graphicssoft/library/tuts/bltut16.h
tm

(watch for wrap on that URL)