[thelist] stupid OSX questions

Jay Greenspan jay at trans-city.com
Mon Mar 26 19:30:59 CST 2001

Well, since you asked:

http://developer.apple.com/internet/macosx/intro.html

This is the party line*.

If you haven't heard yet, OS 9 will run within OS X, so, to
the best of my knowledge, most apps should run just fine
in OS 9.1 if you're using OS X.

There's no need for you to know Unix if you don't want to
learn it. However, if you decide you'd like to grep a little
more, you can open up a terminal and run whatever shell you
like.

I'm a bit biased on OS X. But for a more impartial view, I'd wait
a few weeks and see what the major complaints are among the early
adopters. I've been using it for a about 2 weeks now and have
found some things that need improvement. (mostly unix library stuff
that I can't seem to figure out).

If you get a Mac and you're not liking OS X, you can always boot
to 9.1.

If anyone has questions re OS X and Web development, please let
me know.

-j

*This article and many that will follow caused me to cancel my
trip to Austin and miss my chance to meet many of you evolters.