FWD: Re: [thelist] JSP vs ASP vs PHP vs CF vs Zope vs Lasso

Daniel J. Cody djc at starkmedia.com
Tue Mar 27 09:49:50 CST 2001

remember folks to send plain text email only or else it will get held
for approval. really good posts(and ones I want to counter ;) like this
will occasionly get sent through manually with the HTML stripped off. -
dan

Hi Everyone I sent this Saturday but it didn't seem to get through.
Thought I should send again for anyone interested... And No I don't
work for Blueworld :-)

Angie

Oh wow.

So much covered so quickly.

Thought I should mention Lasso as it's so little known and is
extremely good for certain things.

1. Very quick to learn, is both a server side scripting language and
a replacement language. ie
[Field:'ProductName'] is replaced by the contents of field
productname pretty easy to use, and see in your code.

2. Is NOT platform specific. Runs on NT and Mac and soon to be
Unix/SQL (this is a major pain in the *** as Mac OSX came out today
and us lassoers are waiting for the Port so this is a bad time to be
singing the praises of lasso). However when we do get our native
driver for MySQl and frontbase and can run on Webstar for OSX (claims
to be faster than apache, this I have to see.) I'll be a very happy
girlie :-)

3. Ties in quickly to Filemaker (great for trying ideas without
building an entire server :-)

4. Has SQL capabilities as well as it's own language which is really
easy to grasp.

5. Apparently is one of the shortest for amount of code. Blueworld
(makers of Lasso) have several white papers up about the differences
between Lasso and CF etc. You can read this at
http://www.blueworld.com/blueworld/news/06.28.00LassovsColdFusion.html

It has bold claims like...

"In a side-by-side comparison of code required to formulate and
display the results of a basic yet common search query, the Lasso
pages resulted in 1163 characters of code and the ColdFusion pages
1963, over 68% more code than with Lasso. Also, Lasso provides a
built-in security system for protecting databases, columns, rows and
actions whereas ColdFusion provides built-in security for just files
and folders and relies on external security mechanisms provided in
operating systems and within databases."

I love it. I am however learning PHP in case they don't deliver on
the SQL/Unix tools. However we lassoers are an extremely impatient
bunch (why do you think we all learn the fastest to write language)
and they've not even had the chance to make the major announcement
we're expecting (Demanding) today.

Being a Mac person I love it. Security is one of my biggest fears
with databases and Lasso just rock on that front.

If you're looking at getting into writing database driven webites you
must give it a serious look as you would all of the others. I'm not
saying it's better or worse than anything. I'm just saying it's my
tool of preference. ASP has been regarded as the enemy due to it's
reputation for being implemented very insecurely. I'm not trying to
start a war here but I feel that ASP and stolen data are far to
frequently in the same sentence.

things to consider when choosing a tool in my opinion.

1. Does it's logic suit you?
2. Is it reliable?
3. Is it secure? (Or can you secure it reliably)
4. Is it Fast?
5. Will it suit all the different types of project you do? (not asked
enough)
6. Do you trust the makers not to screw you and your sites in their
next upgrade :-)

We also have one of the best lists for getting into Lasso. Lots of
extremely helpful people answering questions day and night.

There is so much to say on each of the tools that I think trying them
is the only way. Let me put it this way for lasso, there isn't
anything we haven't been able to do as of yet (other than use
MySQL.... coming soon).

All the best

Angie