[thelist] wireless thinking aloud

Jesus G. Gorriti Jesus.Gorriti at iconmedialab.es
Thu Mar 29 07:45:23 CST 2001

> A lot of the mobile phones I've seen tell you the local area
> code for where
> they are. (I may be wrong but...) I believe its done with
> triangulation
> between the phone masts. Couldn't this info be used?

That depends on the provider. I've seen that in Germany,
Netherlands, Czech Republic, England and some other country
I can't recall. But in countries such as: Spain, France,
Italy, Sweden and Austria you get nothing but the name
of the provider in the cellphone. And it's not done with
triangulation, the mast you are connecting to tells you the
area.

Jesús G. Gorriti / Art Director
IconMedialab Spain