[thelist] wireless thinking aloud

Matt Wenham matt at mattwenham.co.uk
Thu Mar 29 09:59:49 CST 2001

> Area code isn't accurate enough for many applications - you'd want a
> 100m accuracy or better. But there is more data than you see (from
> triangulation) - don't know how accurate it is.

In areas where there is dense transimtter coverage, accuracy can be as
good as 50-60 metres. In the UK, this is about the same level of
accuracy as knowing which postcode you are nearest to. Potentially scary
stuff indeed.

I have heard of cases where criminals have been tracked because they
left their mobile phones on, and the police looked at the phone company
logs. Alibis were broken this way. I have no idea if this level of
accuracy will be available to wireless applications.

Matt...

PS: Was this off-topic??