[thelist] Cold Fusion?

Raymond Camden jedimaster at macromedia.com
Thu Mar 29 10:49:49 CST 2001

> ASP. I have Win98 and PWS, what do I need to have in order to support CF
> locally? Do I need to install anything on PWS?

Let me see if I grok you - yes, CF is a server side language. It basically
amounts to a program that runs on your machine, next to your web server, and
parses out files. So yes, if you want to play with CF, you can either use
the free options (members.evolt.com or cfm-res), or try it at home. I
_believe_ CF will run on Win98 and PWS. It won't support advanced security
and some of the other enterprise features, but you don't need those now
anyway.

> Cool, I was hoping that was the case--so what is CF Studio then? If I get
> interested in developing with it seriously, what would buying the
> software do
> for me? I do have HomeSite, what CF help does it give you? All I
> use HS for is
> cleaning up HTML code by hand and searches--I use DW to layout
> sites visually,
> so I don't delve into HS's offerings too much.

Think of Studio as HomeSite on steroids. CF steroids. It's basically a
HomeSite editor with hooks in it for CF. You can use Studio to debug cf
apps. Also, it contains tag editors that make writing CF easier... although
those may be available in HomeSite as well.

Raymond Camden, Principal Spectra Compliance Engineer for Macromedia

Email   : jedimaster at macromedia.com
ICQ UIN : 3679482