[thelist] New Red Hat User, Trying to Start Apache

Katherine Spice ks at acu.ac.uk
Thu Mar 29 12:36:36 CST 2001

Hi Jorah,

You need to be root for this -

# /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd start / stop / restart

if there's a problem with the install or config you should get an error msg.

To check if it's running either (a) point browser at localhost (b) grep ps ax for httpd processes (c) look through your httpd.conf for the location of the PidFile (mine is /usr/local/apache/logs/httpd.pid) and then go look and see if that file exists.

Yell if you need more help,

Katherine