archive search tip, part 2 (was: RE: [thelist] Binary)

mccreath mccreath at ak.net
Fri Mar 30 08:29:22 CST 2001

> From: Daniel J. Cody
>
> <tip type="Searching the list archives">
> So ya, the search engine for thelist archives isn't the best. Try using
> googles search engine, and have it set to search *only* the evolt.org
> site.. Google has a really really good index of thelist postings and can
> probably help you out. Either choose the 'advanced search' option or use
> a URL like this(to search on php and mysql in this case):
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=php+mysql+site%3Aevolt.org&btnG=Goo
> gle+Search
> </tip>

<tip type="Searching the list archives, part 2">
Since I don't read URL-encoded text very well, I didn't realize what Dan was
doing in that URL. You can specify a specific site for Google to search in
the search field. This works on Google's basic search page or on the Google
toolbar.

The syntax is like this:

php mysql site:evolt.org   (keywords, site)

  or

site:evolt.org php mysql   (site, keywords)

Note that there are no spaces in the "site:sitename" string.

The nice thing about doing it in the toolbar is that once you do this in the
toolbar, the "Search Site" button becomes active and you can use that to
search the same site until you specify a new site. Hopefully they'll add the
option to save a list of frequently searched sites, but it doesn't appear to
be there yet.
</tip>

David