[thelist] Slowing Down a Connection

Philippe Jadin philippe.jadin at 123piano.com
Fri Mar 30 15:02:17 CST 2001

> The Web Optimizer at www.xat.com that Philippe notes seems close to the
> mark, but then I have to pay $99 plus set up and maintain another web
> server.  Anyone have experience with this?  Is it worth it?

Xat web server is exactly what you need if you want to test your pages at
various speed. "Maintaining" it is just a matter of clicking an icon,
choosing a root directory and a port. Then you can surf at the speed you
want.

Is it worth it? I have no idea, I just tried it and found it giving me the
*exact* end user experience. No other method could do it other than using a
slow modem. As I still am on dialup, this tool is quite useless for now ;-).

The question of server response overhead is, imho, not important. Any decent
app. server with all the db stuff, etc, won't take more than 10-20 msec to
build an entire page, so this doesn't matter.

Philippe