[thelist] CSS, Fonts and User Preferences

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 30 18:40:02 CST 2001

> From: "Nicole Parrot" <nicole at parrot.ca>
>
> I'm converting an old site which I developped in 99 to more modern
> standards. One of the things I'm doing is converting all to CSS. Now
> it's very important on this site (which is an intranet) to respect the
> user's choice of font size. The old code uses the <FONT attribute with
> relative sizes (+1, -2, etc..) to achieve that effect.

good woman... that's what i like to hear...

> I have yet to figure out how to do it with CSS. Even the sites on the
> net that I know use CSS don't succeed in letting the user control the
> font size (including evolt.org)

there are few ways to do it... evolt.org is going to allow
customization that will handle that, but it's a bit behind schedule...

one method is to use relative units, the first one probably being
%... if the default font size is 100%, you're golden... but nesting %
can be very annoying, since it takes its property from the nesting
element... so if you have something at 80%, like a caption, and
then you nest a link within that at 100%, it'll render at 100% of
80%...

other units include em, but that's just a bear what with the shoddy
support and all...

another approach is to do some scripting:

Give the User Control Over Your Fonts. (ASP)
http://evolt.org/article/list/22/253/index.html

Give the user control over your fonts with Perl
http://evolt.org/article/list/17/4415/evolt.org