[thelist] Server aliasing problem with IE 3 + NT 4?

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Sat Mar 31 19:47:58 CST 2001

Why hello Evolt!

Could any of the tech gurus out there answer this problem for me? I
recently reinstalled NT4 (from a circa '96 CD). Straight out of the
box it had no service pack upgrades, and included IE version 3 (not
3.02).

Out of perversity I tried viewing a site I'm working on at the moment
but IE 3 reported that there was no content there at all. FTPing to
the server returned the ISP's ftp directory, which didn't look like a
directory they are using any more for anything much. Other sites I
have on this ISP's servers were also unavailable.

After upgrading the machine to service pack 6a, and installing IE
5.5, the sites all worked just fine.

Does this mean IE 3.0 has no real grip on HTTP headers or whatever it
is that the server uses to redirect domain names to directories on
their machines? I would have thought that all that kind of thing
would be based *entirely* in the server software itself, and that it
wouldn't rely on any particular browser knowing anything at all. But
I know jack about this sort of thing...

In case it's important the ISP runs Apache 1.3.17 and PHP 4.0.4pl1 on
Debian Linux systems.

Anyone have any ideas about what's going on?

Thanks heaps,
Andrew
--
Andrew Forsberg