[thelist] Server aliasing problem with IE 3 + NT 4?

Patrick Berry pberry at piratehaven.org
Sat Mar 31 19:56:43 CST 2001

>>> Andrew Forsberg had the thought that... <<<

> Does this mean IE 3.0 has no real grip on HTTP headers or whatever it
> is that the server uses to redirect domain names to directories on
> their machines? I would have thought that all that kind of thing
> would be based *entirely* in the server software itself, and that it
> wouldn't rely on any particular browser knowing anything at all. But
> I know jack about this sort of thing...

The server is probably hosting a bunch of domains aliased to one IP
and the server is taking care of the aliasing using HTTP 1.1 headers
which IE 3.0 most likely doesn't understand.

Do an nslookup on your domain and the domain that IE 3 ends up at.  If
the IP address is the same then this is the problem.

Pat