[thelist] CSS, Fonts and User Preferences

Janis Joseph gilat at molcho.org.il
Sun Apr 1 08:24:29 CDT 2001

From: "Nicole Parrot" <nicole at parrot.ca>

> Thanks to everyone who answered.
> I'm now playing with the percentage trick, which I didn't know we could
do.
> With advance planning, I think I can pull it ;-)

Er, well...

Approach with caution and test like crazy, especially on Macs, and
especially if you want the page to be printable. I was sent screenshots from
a Mac of a page I'd done with %-sized fonts -- and they weren't even nested,
or cascading -- and it wasn't pretty.

Since I'm not willing to restrict users' ability to resize fonts, I now use
CSS to specify font face, color and style. But if I really need some text to
display larger or smaller than the default -- well, I've reverted to font
tags for that.

HTH.

Janis