[thelist] Remote NT administration

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Sun Apr 1 13:08:39 CDT 2001

At 08:06 AM 4/1/2001, you wrote:

>Does anyone have experience remotely administering an NT server?  Starting
>to look around for some tools and apps that will make the process of
>starting/stopping services, viewing processes, restarting the system and
>the like over the Internet less painful.

You are best to use a screen scraper to get your work done. NT "wants" you
to be local, versus remote when working with it. And remote control is as
close as you can get.

My favorites....

Timbuktu - Nice Clean and not bloated, control many machines at once.
http://www.netopia.com/software/products/tb2/2000/

PC Anywhere - get the latest version, the older file transfer routines
suck. (Can only control one machine at a time.) I prefer version 9.
http://enterprisesecurity.symantec.com/products/products.cfm?ProductID=2

VNC - for internal use only.
http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

Don't rule out BackOrifice. Properly configured its a great tool.
http://www.bo2k.com/

Also - consider getting the rebootable APC power filter. If NT/W2K locks
up, you'll be glad you have it.
http://www.apcc.com/products/masterswitch/index.cfm

Good Luck!!
---