[thelist] what do you use to create code from layout?

Jorah Lavin madstone at madstone.net
Mon Apr 2 06:00:10 CDT 2001

At 07:41 PM 04/01/01, ted serbinski wrote:

>when you design a site and layout in your favorite graphics program
>(say fireworks or photoshop) ... what tools do you use to transform this
>layout into code that you can fix and than tweak?

I let the graphics people do the pretty stuff (which is beyond me, and I
know it) and when the client likes the look of the comp, I take a printout
of the Photoshop file and mark where I want the image sliced, then build
the HTML out by hand in HomeSite, since I found out that it takes me longer
to tweak code than to start fresh.

I work on one page until I've got the code most of the way to where I want
it, then "chunk" it up for the SSI files.  Since most of the navigation
issues are worked out while the client is looking at comps, I can usually
just use the first page as a template and start building the rest of the
site after that.

I'm very impressed by people who can do the graphics _and_ the code, but...
"...a man's gotta know his limitations." **

-Jorah

**( The phrase "A man's gotta know his limitations" is from a _Dirty Harry_
movie)