[thelist] Request for critique, small commercial farm site

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 2 16:46:44 CDT 2001

> From: "H. G. Quinn" <hgquinn at attglobal.net>
>
> I'd appreciate any feedback on page load times, errors,
> and any other comments on the following (the only
> working links are "lamb" and "order"):
>
>     http://www.windyhilldesign.com/farmtransfer/test3

right off, the page doesn't fit in my 640 window... it'll work at higher
resolutions, but it's not liquid... do you have confidence that a small
number of users will be at at least 800x600?

the use of .jpg images for the primary navigation and header
images results in some highly splotchy graphics... i'd suggest you
either turn your lossy compression way down, or consider using
.gif images with precise control over the color palettes... you can
probably get down to 32-color without them being too horribly
large... as it is, all the edges look too fuzzy, so perhaps .gif can
help keep 'em a bit sharper...

there isn't enough contrast for the text buttons... the most difficult
to read is 'about the farm'... the combination of script, dark blue,
shadows, and the subdued yellow/green makes for very
homogenized buttons...

i like the animated sheep head... i think he needs to be chewing
something, though... like a lamb chop...?

i'm not sure why you have a gold border around the page... same
with the background image... neither of them seems integral to the
design... this applies to the content pages...

and what's with the scanlines in the sheep picture on the lamg
page?

somehow on the content page you've gotten only the bottom third
of the rivendale image to be a hyperlink for me... which is odd,
because i don't click on shadows, i click on images, which meant
my click didn't work... if anything, the lamb in the upper left should
take me home...

your tables are a bit complex... for instance, the gold border could
be done more easily... and the navigation is possibly overly sliced...

hope you post some venison recipes soon... still got a frozen block-
o-meat to cook...

ok, site's hanging, so back to work for me...

> This is a site for a small organic farm that raises
> animals for meat, so if that offends you, please stay
> away.

i don't see why it would offend me... just last week i worked on a
site that raises babies for meat... mmm... tender...