[thelist] Freelance Web Designer

matthew garrett matthew.garrett at snet.net
Tue Apr 3 16:51:00 CDT 2001

> From: Megan Holbrook <meganwh at mediaone.net>

> I'd watch out about the write off - as a service and not a good, our
> accountant said that donated website work is not a write off. I'd love
> to hear if anyone had different advice from a professional tax
> accountant.

I got the same advice last week from my accountant. He said that you can
only write off the actual expenses incurred in the project. So if I paid
someone to code the site for a non-profit, I could deduct that expense - but
not the fees I would have charged the client. Kindof a drag, but I'm a
pushover for the right non-profits anyway.

matt