[thelist] help: automatic alias generation??

Ryan Mayberry Ryan at applicor.com
Wed Apr 4 13:37:48 CDT 2001

I don't know of any pre-made app, but you could accomplish this with a small
database such as access or mySQL. In the database store the directory path
for the pages in your site as well as a unique ID for each.

Then write an ASP or CF page which can accept the ID variable, open the
correct record from the database and then redirect using the full directory
path. Then in emails you just have to provide a link to your redirection ASP
or CF page, give it the ID you want and presto..

The link would look something like
http://www.domain.com/refirect.asp?pathID=0234

In the database you would open up the record with the matching pathID to get
the proper full path.

This is how I would do it, but I am sure smarter people on the list can
suggest other ways.

Ryan