[thelist] Do women view web pages differently from men?

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com
Fri Apr 6 03:53:53 CDT 2001

Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

Natalie

It would be interesting to see if there were other factors in play for
the 1st part of your test.

But the second one is a biggie in terms of copywriting. People who
write (well) for exhibitions have known for a while that simple, direct,
active words do *much* better. I once benchmarked a community
nature reserve's visitor leaflet, and it was all written as "The reserve
was founded in 1953 after an extensive consultation period...zzz...
It is run by a committee elected from a representative....zzzz"

I tested an alternative which made the reserve and its resources the
star: "Go and see this!" "Hey, try that, it's fun!" kind of thing, and it
was
*much* more successful in communicating to visitors. They adopted
my version very quickly, although there were a couple of committee
members who insisted that their version (and yes, they were the ones
who wrote the original) communicated better.

Cheers
Martin

Please respond to thelist at lists.evolt.org

Sent by:  thelist-admin at lists.evolt.org