[thelist] What would you do?

Joe Crawford jcrawford at avencom.com
Tue Apr 10 11:54:16 CDT 2001

"Gina K. Anderson" wrote:
> I had a client fax me another designer's proposal the other day.

I think this is not cool -- and if this is the answer to your questions
about specifics about the site, it's sad..

> They approached me some time ago for a proposal, and I gave them a document to
> fill out to get a gist of their project needs. This is one of those clients that
> wants to know "how much" before I know anything about their site needs. They
> never filled it out, though I followed up twice.

Now I have an answer to your question of "What would you do?"

My answer is:

	IF YOU CAN, RUN AWAY. FAST!

The answer I would deliver would be this:

"I'd be delighted to do quality work with you! To protect us both, I'd
like to be able to give you a proper proposal, including a  quote. To do
that, we, need to scope out the work, including some specifics. Here are
some outstanding questions I have for you. <<insert your previous sets
of questions here>>. If you'd like we can take a meeting and go over
these questions in person.

Best regards,

<<insert your name>>"

If they're smart, they'll answer your questions and take a meeting. If
they're as weasel-y as I think they are, they won't answer because they
fear real accountability. Either way, win win.

Oh, and if you take the job, make sure to take some % payment up front.
:-)

> How would you guys handle this as far as the client is concerned? I am trying to
> find a way to word "I need feedback from YOU, not another designer's proposal"
> in a professional manner ;) I'm not really *itching* to do the site, but it
> would be nice if I could get some feedback and cooperation from the client.

Hopefully this was helpful Gina. I wish you well.

	- Joe <http://artlung.com/>
Joe Crawford ||||||||||||||       mailto:jcrawford at avencom.com