[thelist] Re: [site rippers? - conclusion]

matt newell matt at sweetillusions.org
Tue Apr 10 19:10:42 CDT 2001

one major reason is for archival purposes.

say:
you worked on a site at one firm, left that firm (which means no more access
to the source, unless you hijacked it), and now want a copy of the site you
designed/built/whatever for portfolio reasons.

another major reason (in my case right now):
we've ended a relationship with a current client, handed off the proper
items and generally washed our hands of them.

the portion of the site we developed was only a small piece of the whole
puzzle -- we wanted to show the whole puzzle, but didn't have access to
their servers to dl a whole copy easily.

not having access to another companies servers /is/ common, as most have
staging areas, or arrangements to deliver a product in .zip format for them
to promote through to production themselves. (if any of you have had to deal
with cisco's interwoven implementation, you'll may know why staying as far
away as possible is the key to sanity.)

the other major reason i can think of would be general offline browsing ..
online books/long reports/presentations/etc. make for a nice read in the
park when you dont have a net connection to view them on demand.

thanks all,

        .. matt

        .. www.sweetillusions.org
        .. matt at sweetillusions.org

        .. in our madness evermore we rave - chaucer