[thelist] Recommend a Server Side Language?

Philippe Jadin philippe.jadin at 123piano.com
Wed Apr 11 06:07:08 CDT 2001

> would have to pretty limited! PHP gives me XSLT, WDDX, DotNet,
DOMXML...ok,

Zope imho has most of those, because it is based on python. Python has a
full featured xml parser, there is an xslt engine,...

The difference with zope is the fact that you don't need to reinvent the
wheel every time. It's like having a really well made framework that you can
extend as you like.

I think we can compare php to python. Both are programming language. Zope is
an application written in python. If it was written in php, i would use php
to extend it. Zope is interesting because there is a lot of work already
made : user management, database access, templating, backend UI, reusable
components, external access to the object database (through ftp, webdav,
xmlrpc, soon soap,...). Zope is more a concept than an application. It's a
way of thinking.

To add to the confusion, Zope can be extended with either python, perl, and
php (in order of functionality)... ActiveState.com (distributors of perl /
python) use zope for their site.

So far I didn't find another framework so well thought. Maybe coldfusion
fusebox? I don't think so :^p

Philippe

ps : you'll note that any zope enthousiast is fanatic about it. I have no
idea why... I often find myself looking for new howtos even when I have no
use of them, only to see how well it was though. Not really healthy :-)