[thelist] what do you use to create code from layout?

Bart Posselt BPOSSELT at dineout.org
Wed Apr 11 08:53:09 CDT 2001

Macromedia really improved the text editing features of DW 4 and the latest version of Ultradev. Not as nice as Home Site or even ColdFusion studio, though. Maybe that'll change  now that they're the same company.

I used to head for Notepad when I had to hand code; now I go to Ultradev. It may take a little longer to get my bearings, but I save a lot more time previewing.

Bart

>>> amanda at gawow.com 04/10/01 08:20PM >>>
> > I've previously heard DW being abused as a horrendous text
> editor, so I was
> > just curious about what the issues are (or were).
>
> Probably a better way to phrase that question so it doesn't sound like an
> invitation to a pointless HTML tool war.

Hello? Pot? Kettle?

Sheesh.

I haven't used Dreamweaver extensively but, to address Mathew's question
about whether it is good or not, I would say that to compare it with other
WYSIWYGs, it *is* good. I find the text editor fairly easy to use. The tag
editor in the design view or whatever it's called sometimes makes my head
spin because I'm used to touching code. Whenever I can, though, I encourage
clients to give Dreamweaver a spin.

- amanda