[thelist] CSS: Unix and font sizes

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Sun Apr 15 10:16:14 CDT 2001

Chris Evans responded to:

> >Are you sure this is an operating system issue, or is it the screen
> >resolution? Most workstations have higher-res monitors than typical
> >PCs.
>
> I connecting over Exceed using 1024x768, so I don't think its a resolution
> issue.

My very old SPARCstation runs 1152x900; displaying a page "native"
looks quite different from that page X-hosted to my 1024x768 PC
using XThinPro (both systems have 17" monitors);

Some x-small and xx-small sample text is unreadable "native", but
x-small is OK on the PC, for instance.

Newer Suns use still higher resolutions.

> I tried converting to relative font sizes, but it had no impact
> whatsoever.

NS4 inheritance is pretty broken generally, but it's worse on the
Solaris version.

Something like <span style="font-size: x-large;">foo</span> won't
have any effect if there's no "font-family" defined for it, either
in-line like:
or (sometimes!) in a style sheet applied to the parent element.

And of course then you need to think about what fonts are available
to both the target platform *and* your X server, if that's what you
use to test ...

FWIW!
--
H*
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com
Webtuitive Design ---(+1) 408-938-0567 --- http://www.webtuitive.com

    -- creating dynamic Web sites and applications since 1994 --