[thelist] [fwd] How do I get a search engine to add me to the search?

Martin Kuplens-Ewart martin at takingitglobal.org
Sun Apr 15 13:11:35 CDT 2001

[mailto:thelist-admin at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of Thyne Own Evilklown
> Subject: [thelist] [fwd] How do I get a search engine to add me to the
search?

> How do I get a search engine to add me to the search? I have META tags
on my site and I have registered with many
> search engines (Yahoo!, AltaVista) but when I search for my site I can
never find it. Is there a trick?

>--brandon

Most important: *very carefully*. I forget where I read it, but there
was a wonderful article on the 'net about the dangers of submitting to
the same spider/engine more than once... That if you do so, they tend to
ignore your site.

Now, having scared you to bits, I have one *really important* piece of
advice... Which goes for everyone... That's why it's going as a tip. :P

<tip type="Places to submit your site">
So, you've finished your masterpiece, cleaned up the DW code in notepad,
placed it on your site; now all you're missing are visitors... Right.
Where do you submit your site? The obvious choice is to submit your site
to the search engine used by the most people out there.. Unfortunately
people's habits are unpredictable and so we have to go with the
[second]-best option... DMOZ, a.k.a. the "Open Directory Project", or
ODP! This wonderful directory of websites is carefully cultivated by a
team of dedicated volunteers [the "Editors" :P] Who spend their waking
hours trawling the web for sites just like yours, that need to be  in
such a brilliant directory.... But a word of warning: if your site is
all 404's and "Under Construction", don't bother; you've got a better
chance of dating Prince William than being listed... Anyway, if you're
site is really good and stuff, and gets listed by the above mentioned
brilliant people, it will be snapped up by not one, not too, but
literally dozens of search engines, including the venerable AltaVista,
Google, and other big-name searchers... Well, there may be a waiting
period, as the search engines only update their copies of the directory
data every month or more... It's so much data it takes a while to
process and all that... But yah, DMOZ.org is probably the way to go... I
know I love it... But then, I'm an editor too, so I suppose I'm biased.
:P
</tip>

Hope that helps you, Brandon; and of course anyone else wondering...

Martin Kuplens-Ewart
http://www.graphicist.com

Let's face the obvious. Yesterday we were nerds. Today we're
the cognitive elite. Let's conquer. - Chester G. Edwards