[thelist] [fwd] How do I get a search engine to add me to the search?

Marc Seyon seyon at carib-link.net
Mon Apr 16 12:29:20 CDT 2001

At 4/15/2001 06:45 PM, you wrote:

>Regarding DMOZ, my experience with getting entries in the catalogue changed
>has been less than satisfactory.

I think I can partially explain a reason for this. Editors like to use
their own descriptions of sites, indeed are encouraged to do so, rather
than using the description submitted.

"Sites That Submit Listings More Than Once" are bad. Unfortunately, as far
as I could tell while I edited there, the "update listing" and "submit new
listing" forms were defined the same way on the editor's side, so it may
not have been immediately apparent that it was an update, and not a "repeat
listing".

>been able to get it changed. Nor have I ever received any sort of response
>regarding the request.

You should be able to communicate directly to the editor in charge of the
category, who is sort of obligated to get back to you. If that failed,
yeah, probably a lazy editor. If it's really important to you, report it to
a higher up editor in the directory structure. For example if you're
looking for a listing in Regional/North America/USA/Foo/ and the editor of
Foo didn't reply, send it to an editor in USA...

>I know that I also volunteered at one time to help edit a category.
>Again no response.

One thing I never liked is they (the guys who run the directory) were never
particularly transparent about how they delegated authority, added new
editors, stuff like that.

That and if they saw you submit your site several times to a category, then
apply to edit that category, they might think you were up to potential
mischief.

>Perhaps the issue was the editor in charge of that section?

Very likely.

<disclaimer>
Yes, I have got issues with the human editors of ODP. No I do not have
issues with the goal and vision of the ODP.
</disclaimer>

-marc