[thelist] Live Changes to Web

Daniel S. O'Shea doshea at surfree.com
Mon Apr 16 16:44:09 CDT 2001

Go to 'file' > 'open web...' >

In the 'Open Web' window, where it says 'Folder Name:', type in your web
address:
http://www.myweb.com

Once a connection is established, your host company's username/password
window should come up for you. Type in your UN/PASS and it will connect you
to your web. Takes a bit of time, depending on size of your web. Once the
site files are listed, just open any one of them. You are making changes on
the site itself...meaning, once changed and saved, unless you have a copy on
your own system, there's no going back. I also have some plug-ins you may be
interested in. Some of them are...'Save All' files that are open, automatic
saving, automatic 'link' non-decoration on entire pages, publishing up from
system individual files only, etc.

I've used both FP98 and 2000 and the biggest drawback is that to publish up,
it has to list ALL files first and then publish only changed files. Large
sites are a pain in the @%$% with FP. Second biggest problem...using Windows
95, 98 or ME. Publishing up times out a lot. When I moved over to Windows
2000, it never does it. By the way, ME is absolutely horrific if one has a
large number of Web Developing programs loaded and open. The great 'FREEZE'
occurs within an hour. Win2K has no freeze. From what I understand, it is
partly a cache problem in 95/98/ME that does not occur in the NT
environment.

I'm using FP2000 and having trouble publishing changes to my web - so tried
to make changes live and I'm doing something wrong there too - could someone
please post the steps to take to make changes live to the website thru FP?
Thank you...