[thelist] ASP IIS Memory Leakage

Ben Ewing bewi at haestad.com
Tue Apr 17 10:33:42 CDT 2001

We've been having some memory leakage problems on our web server.  We use
ASP on an IIS 5 server.  The amount of memory used by the application
processes creeps up slowly until the web service crashes.

We solved the problem previously by separating the site into a bunch of
applications.  So, each application runs in a different dllhost.exe process
and when one gets too greedy for processor time the server knows to kill it.

Just recently this solution stopped being a solution.  Now, the dllhosts and
inetinfo processes are taking turns downing the server.

What I'd like to do is figure out how to fix whatever is eating the memory
and make the whole thing one application again.

We suspect the problem is caused by sloppy ADO database connection closing
but we cannot prove it.

We are going through the code to make sure the connections are closed but I
was wondering if anyone else has come across this problem before or has an
idea of what could cause it?

Thanks for your help,
Ben