[thelist] RE: Cold Fusion question: URL with ?

Judah McAuley judah at alphashop.com
Tue Apr 17 11:15:43 CDT 2001

At 10:14 AM 4/17/01 -0500, you wrote:

>The evolt site went through a similar URL string change in Feb. and wrote a
>great article on it
>
>evolt 404: The explanation
>http://lists.evolt.org/archive/Week-of-Mon-20010205/149988.html
>
>Thanks,
>Chris

Well, thanks for the praise.  However, what I wrote was predominantly about
using the Missing Template Handler to run the site off of a single
template.  It takes for granted that you are using a method like
formurl2attributes to escape the query string.  The method I described is
sort of the next insane step beyond that.  Using formurl2attributes (or the
like) can be done without invoking the Missing Template Handler.

In order to make my post somewhat useful, I will also throw in my
$.02:  After having worked with formurl2attributes for awhile, I've found
that I don't especially like the fact that it grabs both URL and Form
variables and shoves them both in an artificial scope
(attributes).  Scoping your variables is one of the those things that you
are supposed to religiously do and this tag makes you lazy from a
development standpoint.  Instead, I prefer a method of parsing the URL and
setting variables back to their original scope (url.x).  Form variables can
be left alone because search engines don't submit forms.

Judah