[thelist] Cold Fusion question: URL with ? to search engine friendly URL

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Tue Apr 17 14:25:00 CDT 2001

On 16 Apr 2001, at 17:56, Shirley Kaiser, SKDesigns posted a message which said:

> I'm not a Cold Fusion user, but I'm researching how to convert dynamic URLs
> with the ? in them to a search engine friendly URL for a tutorial I wrote
> that's published online (got a dead link report) about designing search
> engine friendly sites. (By the way, I have URLs for ASP and others, too --
> just the Cold Fusion link died.)

To get search engines to follow a link, you need to replace the question
mark with a virgule (forward slash), and *possibly* replace equals signs
with virgules or underscores.

If you have a URL of www.mydomain.com/april/seventeenth.cgi/1/2/3
then the server will execute /april/seventeenth.cgi and put '1/2/3' into
the environment variable PATH_INFO

deke